In almost all countries, the contribution of micro and Small & Medium Enterprises (SMEs) is significantly greater than that of large enterprises when it comes to innovations, employment generation, exports, industrial growth and optimum utilization of latent resources.
The SME sector, however, suffers from inherent weaknesses largely because of its inability to furnish suitable security for obtaining adequate credit, lack of managerial skills and skilled manpower, low level of Information & Communication Technology (ICT) adoption, use of obsolete technologies, knowledge gap, etc. ISSME identifies such constraints and finds appropriate solutions to address these issues. It plays a pivotal role in fostering international cooperation among SME stakeholders in different countries and synergizing their effort in the larger interest of SME sector.
In order to achieve its goal and objectives, ISSME undertakes a multitude of activities, which are as follows:
- Advocates the issues and interests of SMEs at all pertinent platforms.
- Disseminates information by bringing out several publications.
- Facilitates SMEs in the areas of technology upgradation and transfer, marketing and brand building.
- Organizes and broadcasts, in collaboration with international, regional and national organisations, information on emerging international best practices so that SMEs could adopt and take advantage of them.
- Sends regular alerts or circulars to all members, affiliates and partners on latest happenings and events in SME world.
- Conducts training programmes to help SMEs and their support institutions enhance their competitiveness.
- Organises study tours/ exposure visits for SMEs and their promotional bodies.
- Organises annual international conferences on SMEs as well as Seminars & Workshops.
- Undertakes research studies on contemporary issues that SMEs face.
- Facilitates business matchmaking and trade collaborations.
- Arranges placement of counsellors, specialists, consultants and trainers to facilitate flow of knowledge and expertise in specific fields.
- Provides secondment facilities to government officers and representatives of organizations working for SMEs in other countries.
- Recognizes organizations and individuals who have contributed in a significant manner to the development and growth of SME sector in their respective countries or regions.